Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pickups


When I titled this post I was thinking of the word "pickup" as a play on a musical pickup (as in, "from the pickup to bar 32") and the notion of a pick-me-up. But then I realized just how many different word plays I could do with it, and, being from Alberta, I felt it was only appropriate to work in a pickup truck. Especially if it could be an old farm truck. Mission accomplished.

I've been writing a paper lately. Or, rather, I've been wrestling with a paper. And quite frankly, it has been kicking my butt. Seriously. Every time I think I've gotten the best of it, it throws a nasty left hook my way and catches me completely off guard. Oh well. It has to be handed in in only a few hours, so it will be done with soon enough. Normally while I'm writing I am big on folky singer/songwriter music. Or jazz. Or classical. But today I needed something upbeat and catchy. Something I could dance in my seat to. So I put together a little play list and thought I would share it with all of you. Just in case you need a pickup while you're working on end of the semester projects, or studying for exams. Or, if you are one of the lucky ones, celebrating the end of classes. I thought about doing this on Grooveshark or 8Tracks or something, but then I realized that a lot of these songs have awesome videos, so I just stuck with good old YouTube.

Lonely Boy - The Black Keys
This song never fails to get me dancing.

Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen 
It's. Just. So. Catchy. And the video is pretty funny.

Don't Let Your Feet Touch Ground - Ash Koley 
I dare you not to feel happier after listening to this song.

Stadium Love - Metric
You can't go wrong with Metric. I've had the Fantasies album has been on repeat today.

Home - Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes
Just enough country twang for me to love it.

Here It Goes Again - OK Go
An oldie, but a goodie. Plus, dancing on treadmills. (This might be what I imagine doing every time I'm at the gym.)

Hush Hush - Natalie Portman's Shaved Head
Another never-fails-to-make-me-dance-like-a-fool song.

Slow Motion Machine Gun - Pearl and the Beard
The ending to this song is such fun.

Black Horse and the Cherry Tree - KT Tunstall
I will always love this song.

Come Back Down - Greg Laswell (feat. Sara Bareilles)
I might be slightly obsessed with this song. And I might sing along to it every time it comes on.

Angels - The Wooden Sky
Love the foot-stomping opening. Love the tempo change.

King of Anything - Sara Bareilles
This is basically my theme song.

No comments:

Post a Comment