Sunday, October 3, 2010

Corners of my mind


Do you ever try to visualize the inside of your head? This can be a challenging and occasionally terrifying process. I almost always picture my brain as a room. Typically it is kind of a messy room. Some bits of it are nice and organized with filing cabinets and curio drawers, but other parts are just stacks of papers and books and random objects that cover desks and the floor. And there are niches, little corners, everywhere where things accumulate and are fogotten. The problem with this kind of set up is that when I start getting stressed out it gets messier and messier until my thoughts just fly around my head in a never ending frenzy. And then I feel like I can never turn my brain off. It's like I'm trapped in the room, flying all over the place, smashing my shins on furniture and whacking my shoulder on the corners. This is exactly how I have felt the past couple of days. There is way too much going on right now. My brain won't turn off and let me rest. Every time I try and sleep all of these thoughts start jumping up and down screaming "Notice me!" "Pay attention to me!". It is making me sleep-deprived and rapidly giving me a headache. I should note that I am not always like this. A am actually a relatively organized person. I love filing. I alphabetize my CDs, DVDs and books (by author, and then within author they are ordered chronologically by publication date). It's just that as the semester progresses and life gets crazier and crazier I tend to lose a bit of my grip on organization. Plus my brain is just never as organized as my outer life.

Thinking about how much grief the corners of my brain are giving me made me think about architecture (the one advantage of having a disorganized room up there is that I can make these strange leaps in logic). I love architecture. I actually took drafting and design when I was in grade 10, but had to drop it after that so I could take choir. Some days I wish I could take it again. Anyway, I took this picture on the footbridge that connects Goldbar park with Rundell park. The straight lines stuck me. It's just so structured and organized. Oddly that is everything I just said my mind is not. Maybe that is why it appeals to me right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment