Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Once it's a mistake, twice it's an arrangement, three times it's jazz


The Edmonton Jazz Festival is currently running. One of the reasons that summer here is pretty awesome. On Sunday Sally and I went to a Madeleine Peyroux concert. I was delighted. I love Madeleine Peyroux and so I was pretty stoked to actually see her live (which, if you know me, is indicative of just how much I love her - I am not someone who shells out money to go to concerts very often). Her opening act, Sophie Hunger, was stellar. More avant-garde than I usually enjoy, but simply stunning. Her voice is incredible and the two guys who play and sing with her are also incredible. They did a harmonized chanting bit in one song and when the bass kicked in I almost died from happiness. And I've never heard a trombone used that way. It was so cool. Madeleine did not disappoint in my opinion. She has this delightful, low-key, almost awkward stage presence that I adored. It left me smiling. And her voice was, of course, fabulous. Plus, she had a stand-up bass in the band, which is quite possibly one of my favourite instruments. All in all it was a wonderful evening.

1 comment: