Friday, June 24, 2011

Stormy Weather


One of my all-time favourite jazz songs is Stormy Weather, a song written in 1933 and originally performed by Ethel Waters and since re-recorded by countless artists because it is just that good a song. While I love Billie Holiday's version, I have to say that my absolute favourite version of this song is by Martha Wainwright. So so so good. It's humid here. The clouds have rolled in and the wind has picked up. The weather forecast is calling for thunderstorms tonight and it certainly feels like one should start any moment now. That's the crazy thing about prairie thunderstorms though: sometimes it can seem like a storm is brewing and then...nothing, it just stays humid and tense. The air becomes stagnant and it feels like you are disturbing something by just moving or breathing. It's the craziest sensation. And it is different than other places that get a lot of thunderstorms. They get humid. Legitimately humid. The air feels so dense you could cut it with a knife. You practically have to know how to swim to get anywhere. We don't get that here. Paradoxically it is both humid and dry at the same time. It is so bizarre. I adore this weather though. I've loved thunderstorms as long as I can remember. Maybe I was scared of them as a kid, but I don't remember it. (I should ask my parents about that...) There is something about their wildness, craziness and destructiveness that appeals to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment