Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Self-portraiture


One of my favourite subjects while I was taking my undergrad was art history. You probably wouldn't have guessed this if you had been talking to me while I was trudging through the ridiculous amounts of reading and studying or the three hour lectures, but I genuinely enjoyed the material. I actually considered taking this year to get a second BA in art history. Anyway. One of the really interesting things we talked about was self-portraiture and how it convey's the artist's opinion of and way of seeing his or her self. It's fascinating stuff. I could go into all sorts of details about how this particular self-portrait reveals stuff about me and how I'm feeling about myself and my life lately, but I'll let you try and figure it out on your own if you so choose rather than boring you with my own analysis of myself and my work (which, depending on your theoretical school, may not even matter in the end). I find it interesting though that in almost all of my favourite pictures of myself, I am either not looking at the camera or I'm making a ridiculous face. I'm sure that reveals some sort of deep psychological truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment