Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Branded


You might have noticed that last night I quietly changed the name of my blog and made a few little adjustments to fonts and colours. I've been wanting to do a total rebranding for a while, but since I have neither the time to make massive changes myself or the money to pay someone else, the changes are relatively minor aside from the name. So, why change the name of the blog? Basically, it's just time for something new. "Shape of Your Looking Glass" served me well for almost two years, but for several reasons it hasn't been sitting quite right with me for a while. Yes, there were reasons I picked it that night I decided starting a blog was a good idea. However, I also decided to start this whole thing on a whim and the name was picked late at night while sitting in the apartment living room surrounded by books about Sylvia Plath, and so the significance of those reasons was relatively minimal. Also, the song that "Shape of Your Looking Glass" came from seemed to be part of a very particular chapter in my life. I loved it the first time I heard it. I still love it. But for a while it seemed to be a song of longing for me. I spent this period of time constantly talking about heading east. Toronto. Nova Scotia. Europe. This summer I moved across the country and literally was eastern bound. It's like the song saw me through a particular chapter in my life, and nicely closed it off for me. It was sometime in the midst of moving, of drastically changing my life, that I started to feel like I wanted to change the blog's name. My approach to photography has changed a lot in the last two years as well. I'm more serious about it now. I think about it more. I've invested a lot more time and money into it. But I'm also having more fun with it. It has become one of the things which allows me to balance my life and ground myself. Basically, the place photography has in my life has changed dramatically and my understanding of it has changed dramatically as well. "Shape of Your Looking Glass" began to feel too simplistic. It was unable to capture this new significance and meaning. This new name has a lot more significance for me, a lot more thought put into it. Tomorrow I'll let you know why. So, until then, thank you to those of you who have been on this journey with me. Welcome to those of you who have only recently joined me. I hope many of you stick around for what's still to come.

1 comment: