Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Adventures in Antiquing


Today I took advantage of the fact that I had a four day weekend to do something I had never done before: I went antiquing. My parents and I hit up two antique malls here in the city in a quest for furniture for my new (although still theoretical) apartment. I found an adorable little coffee table and a positively gorgeous hutch. I'm rather excited about them. It's nice to think that I am going to be able to populate my little home with pieces I really love. That's really important to me. Perhaps it has to do with my desire to be surrounded by things I find beautiful, but I desperately want to avoid simply getting things because they are functional. Yes, things need to be functional; as someone who is relatively uninterested in chotchkies (with the exception of old cameras and typewriters, I discovered today) this is an important element of anything I buy. However, I want more than just functionality in what I'm buying; I want to actually find it lovely and enjoy looking at it. This might sound impractical and superficial to some people, but I firmly believe that if you fill your space with things you love, it will have a positive effect on your life. Isn't it so much better to have your gaze fall on something lovely that brings a smile to your face than on something that causes you to curl your lip? I think so. And that is why I enjoyed my antiquing experience. I know the things I found will fulfill this strange set of requirements. Plus, I got to spend an entire day looking at things that ran the gambit from gorgeous to kitschy to strange to amusing to downright ugly. It was a rather visually satisfying day.

This is one of my photos from our Canada Day excursion to the Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village. Apparently my weekend had a bit of an antique theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment