Saturday, November 13, 2010

Feeling Dancey

David tells me that fairies never say, 'We feel happy': what they say is, 'We feel dancey.' 
Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens by J.M. Barrie 

The past couple days have been nothing short of perfect. I've been searching for a way to express how exceptionally happy they have made me, and today I came across this quote in Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens and knew that I had found it. I feel dancey. What a delightful phrase. Apparently fairies "forget all the steps when they are sad, and remember them again when they are merry" (50-1). This captures how I feel perfectly. Whenever life gets frustrating and upsetting (and those have been the overruling emotions the past couple of days for me) I stop dancing. This probably sounds a bit odd, but let me try to explain. I live my life to a relatively constant soundtrack of music. When I'm getting ready in the morning I tend to dance around my room to music. It doesn't really matter whether it is actually dance appropriate music or not, but I jump around like a fool (this is not something that I really want anybody to witness since I look completely ridiculous, but it makes me happy and helps me hate mornings a little less). While I do homework I chair dance (which I am certain is quite amusing for people who are walking past my office). If I ever am lucky enough to have the apartment to myself I bring music into the kitchen while I cook or clean and dance around. When I'm in choir I tend to sway or bounce (which I am positive looks strange, but I am not the only one who does it so I am usually okay with it). But whenever I am stressed or depressed or angry though I can't dance. Seriously. I've tried the whole dancing to turn my mood around thing and it just doesn't work for me. I can fake it for about five minutes. After that I just stop because I can't figure out what to do. It's like suddenly my body has no idea how to keep a beat or move in a semi-coordinated fashion. That is how I've been feeling the past couple weeks: like a simply can't dance. There was just no music left in my body. I totally listened to it and even sang along with some songs, but it was like life had just sapped all of the joy from my body and with it had gone all joy in music. Choir was difficult. Normally I can lose myself in the music, but it felt like a chore. But suddenly, the past few days have restored my ability to dance. (In fact, I am chair dancing in my office as I write this). This is a wonderful feeling and I am hoping it lasts for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment