Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good


I'm rereading the Harry Potter series right now. After seeing the final movie I figured I should get it in before I'm swamped with school-related reading. I'm a little over halfway through Prisoner of Azkaban. You know, the one where Harry gets the Marauder's Map and there's a secret passage that leads to a trap door in the cellar at Honeydukes? I think the Marauder's Map is fabulous. Next to the bag Hermione charms in Deathly Hallows so that she can put as much as she wants in it and still be able to carry it around, I think the map is the thing I would want if the Harry Potter world was real. The bag wins though. I mean, the map is amazingly cool, but the bag is would just be useful. This book also happens to be the one where two of my favourite characters show up, Sirius and Lupin. Yup, an all-around good one. But as I was reading today I came across this:
Harry climbed the spiral stairs with no thought in his head except how glad he was to be back. They reached their familiar, circular dormitory with its five four-poster beds and Harry, looking around, felt he was home at last.
This just seemed so appropriate in light of yesterday's musings on home. As we were leaving the wedding on Saturday night, and during brunch on Sunday, my friends and I were talking about how weird it is to not be returning to dorms. I'm working at the school right now and orientation excitement is building all around me and it is the weirdest feeling to not be getting caught up in it. Because this is exactly how I felt every time I headed back to dorms. 
Ah, books and your amazing ability to capture any situation perfectly and to be mysteriously related to whatever is going on in my life at that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment