Saturday, April 30, 2011

Graduation


We never thought this day would come. We prayed for it's quick delivery, crossed days off our calendars, counted hours, minutes and seconds, and now that it's here, I'm sorry it is because it means leaving friends who inspire me and teachers who have been my mentors - so many people who have shaped my life and my fellow students' lives impermeably and forever.
Those words come from Rory Gilmore's speech at her high school graduation. I know I reference Gilmore Girls a lot, but these words were too perfect here in the early morning hours of my college graduation day. So, to my fellow graduates: congratulations! There were certainly moments for many of us when we thought we would never live to see this day, but here we are nonetheless. And I am sorry to say that we have. There are still things I wish I had time to do at King's. There are people I was only starting to get to know that I would like to continue to get to know. There are dear friends who I will miss. There are professors who have guided and encouraged me academically and personally, and who have been sympathetic and understanding when I needed it most. I know that graduation ought to be exciting, but in reality it is mostly just making me sad. I would rather skip it all together. I know that's just my hatred of goodbyes talking though and I would regret it if I didn't go. So, this afternoon I shall wear an unflattering gown and a funny hat and try to focus on the happy accomplishment part and not the sad ending part of graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment