Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sometimes I just want a cupcake


For those of you who don't know, I have a chronic condition which seriously restricts my diet. Normally, I don't talk about this on the blog for various reasons, but tonight I need to rant. For those of you who don't suffer from food allergies that seriously limit what you can eat, here's how I explain my situation: it's like when you have a crush on someone, but they don't like you back. That's how I feel with food. I love it. It just doesn't love me back. Most of the time this is okay. Who am I kidding? Most of the time this sucks. But I've come to terms with it and have adopted an "it is what it is" attitude towards it. There is really no point in bemoaning the fact that I can no longer eat things because it isn't going to change anything. But sometimes I just want a cupcake. Or a cookie. Or anything baked. Sometime I want ice cream. Sometimes I want pasta with alfredo sauce. Sometime I want cheese, lots and lots of cheese. Sometimes I want pizza. Sometimes I want coffee, and not decaf. Sometimes I want to be able to go to a restaurant and order whatever I want. Sometimes I want to be able to travel without having to figure out whether there will be places I can eat there. Sometimes I don't want to stress out about everything I eat. Sometimes I don't want to be afraid to eat something new. Sometimes I am just tired of it.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this. Is it gluten?

    Gluten-free: http://www.pattycakeveganbakery.bigcartel.com/product/ginger-spice-cookie

    and

    http://www.pattycakeveganbakery.bigcartel.com/product/cranberry-almond-cookie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough, gluten is one of the few things I don't have to worry about. Those cookies look ah-mazing though, and I have a couple of friends who are celiac so I think I will pass the links along.

    I actually have IBS, which, as far as I can tell, basically means your body doesn't like most food and doctors can't really give you any reasons why so they can't classify you as actually allergic to things or having any sort of particular condition. There are many theories on what actually causes it. Sadly, theories are of little help when I'm staring at some chocolate cake thinking "I really want some of that".

    ReplyDelete