Saturday, December 11, 2010

Encouragement



He strolls past the office door looking like he's on a mission. But he catches my eye as I'm coming out and takes a couple steps back.

"ENCOURAGEMENT," he says, waving his hands in the air between us as if they are the conduit for positive thoughts and reassurance.

"I haven't even started," I say, gesturing with my head towards the stack of textbooks in my arms. My voice is tinged with half-crazed laughter. Laughter that teeters on the edge of tears and is born out of stress.

"That's okay," he replies. "ENCOURAGEMENT." Once again, waving his hands.

He looks a bit foolish, but he makes me smile, and it's the first genuine smile I've given in days. And I actually do feel encouraged.

[Thank you.]

2 comments:

  1. awesome. people like that are freaking wonderful and the world needs more of them.

    especially to make you smile because you have an awesome smile!

    ps. this picture is wicked and I would frame it and put it in my house in an instant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your present tense :).
    And it's good to see the spark back in your eye. We're almost free!

    ReplyDelete