Friday, March 4, 2011

Charmed


I've been wearing my mom's old charm bracelet lately. I remember playing with this bracelet as a kid. She kept it in the beautiful box - heart shaped, silver coloured, curved legs, green fabric lining - and the box was stored in the linen cupboard at the top of the stairs in our condo. I used to go and sneak it out, put it on and look at all the charms. At some point I kind of just adopted it as my own. I actually have no idea when this happened, but somehow the bracelet and the box came into my possession. The bracelet came with me to university and has been patiently waiting amongst all of my other jewelry for it's day to shine. I've worn it a couple of times, but mostly it has just been there, a comforting kind of possession, one that you are glad you have, that you love knowing is safely tucked away and waiting for you. As I've gone through university I've begun to define my style. It's still evolving, and I think it always will be, but there are certain things that I have settled on. For instance, after first year I gave up my hoodies and switched to cardigans. Now I wouldn't go back for the world (except when I'm pulling an all-nighter or really cold, then I will pull out my oversized school hoodie). I have never really been a bracelet kind of gal. I did the whole wooden beaded bracelet, braided friendship bracelet, rubber "support-a-cause" bracelet thing for a while. Eventually though I moved away from those. Having things around my wrists kind of bothers me. I don't even wear a watch usually because of that. And I have very specific opinions about how substantial the things I do wear on my wrist are. Anyway, I recently got the urge to pull out this charm bracelet and I have decided that I am a girl who can wear a charm bracelet. At least, this particular charm bracelet. It is the perfect level of chunky, it's a little bit rocker and its unique. Plus, I kind of just like the fact that it was my mom's.

No comments:

Post a Comment