Monday, March 14, 2011

The Printed Word


I will never be a journalist. I flirted with the idea briefly, but I simply am not cut out for it. This doesn't mean that newspapers don't fascinate me though. The world of print media is changing so quickly and that excites me. The development of digital mediums for books, newspapers and magazines has turned the world of publishing a bit topsy turvy. It is going to be so cool to see how things develop in the next few years. I don't think books will die out any time soon. There is too much emotion invested the physical book. Maybe in a few generations they will fall by the way side, but I definitely don't see it happening in my lifetime. Newspapers and magazines are an entirely different can of worms though. There are so many fabulous online magazines starting up. The printed version is still going fairly strong though. Newspapers are probably facing the most challenges surviving. There are just so many other mediums by which to get news, and most of them are more immediate and up-to-date. Why read the newspaper when the stories in it are already 8-12 hours old and you've seen them online somewhere? It's all just so fascinating. I had a really interesting conversation with a friend last week about publishing stuff. That conversation, in conjunction with the Ballyhoo layout process, really made me certain that my life is headed in the right direction. I've also been finding lately that not only is the future of print intriguing, so is the history. I just did a presentation/paper on a book about the role of women in early periodicals and was truly fascinated by the topic. It would be really interesting to trace this kind of topic through from the advent of the periodical in the 18th century to contemporary magazines. Yeah, I'm a nerd. I know.

This picture is from Fort Edmonton almost a year ago. I never enjoyed the Fort when I was a kid. As I've gotten older though it has begun to grow on me. Funny how that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment