Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Loving on Canada


I am proudly Canadian. In the past few years I've come to love this country a lot. There are some absolutely beautiful places here. However, as much as that appeals to the photographer in me, I think that discovering the Canadian music scene has been what has really sold me on the awesomeness of Canada. Seriously, what is it with this country that we are just bleeding musical talent? I once heard someone joke that it is because it's so cold here that we all have to find some way to pass the time. Maybe that has some truth to it. Whatever is in the water here though has produced some musicians that are truly phenomenal. I recently (as in yesterday) discovered the Canada Live podcast from CBC and absolutely adore it. I'm not normally a podcast person. The only other one I subscribe to is The Vinyl Cafe, also from CBC and also a great example of how awesome Canada is. I was on the CBC website though (yes I know I'm cool) and there was an ad for the latest episode of Canada Live and it seemed intriguing so I went to check it out and lo and behold it was right up my alley. Basically it is a weekly recording of live performances by some of Canada's big names in music. The Trews, The Wooden Sky, Jets Overhead, Basia Bulat, Great Lake Swimmers, Iron & Wine, Luke Doucet, Jill Barber, Sarah Slean, Metric...the list goes on and on. Plus it is free music every week.

So, I'm not actually sure this is a maple leaf. In fact, I highly doubt it. After all it was taken in London, England. However, I figured it would suffice since I lack a picture of an actual maple leaf. I also really like the background of this image and how the leaf plays off the colours of the stones.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I think I will embrace this website, especially because it features Basia Bulat.... who I, by chance, introduced you to!
    Also, I definitely loved that group & link you posted to my facebook the other day! I think we'll have to have a music-sharing date when school is back in session.
    Canada does have some incredible artists (musically) and I think its awesome that you are tooting their horn in todays post!
    Also, as you like East-coast music, you should possibly check-out an oldie but a goodie, Stan Rogers.
    Love-love-loving your ode to Canada post today!

    ReplyDelete