Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Oblivion


If ever there was a time when classical music expressed my soul, that time is now. I have a lot going on in my head right now. I've been talking out loud to myself all day just trying to work things through and figure things out. Alas, this endeavour has been less than successful and I have instead ended up running in mental circles. I feel like I am just repeating the same steps over and over again, but not making any progress. I went for a walk this evening to try to clear my head and took my ipod with me. "Oblivion" by Lucia Micarelli came on and it captures the exact sensation that I have in my soul right now. Actually her entire album, "Music from a Farther Room", is just exquisite and has become my soundtrack for the evening. While it isn't strictly classical pieces it definitely falls in the classical genre. If you have never heard Lucia Micarelli and have any fondness for classical music you should really have a listen. Anyway, I was walking along in the the darkening twilight after a thunderstorm with this song playing and it felt like a scene from a movie or something. It smelled fantastic because it had just rained and the air was that perfect post-summer-storm temperature. Unfortunately, for all the loveliness of this setting and this song, neither really helped me make any steps to calming my brain down. I have a feeling that sleep will not come easily tonight. Ah well, I will just listen to "Oblivion" on repeat and hope that it helps me drift off into the oblivion of sleep.

Something about the particular way I am feeling right now and the word oblivion makes me think of fog. Of simply fading away. Of trying to grasp something and having it just not quite come into focus. This picture is from Halifax several years ago. It was really foggy the day that we toured the Citadel, which actually made it that much more amazing. I love the effect that the fog has on the simple scene in this picture. Suddenly a parking lot attendant booth beside a road becomes magical and mysterious and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment