Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Glimpse of the Vortex





The past few days have fallen into a lovely rhythm. I sleep in and then after lunch I spend some time on the piano. Eventually I move downstairs where I have taken over the basement table with my art supplies. I spend entire afternoons (and on occasion, evenings) just caught up in artistic pursuits. I seriously love it. There is something truly delicious about the experience of creating something. It's like I'm sucked into this vortex of creativity though. I sit down there and put my headphones in just create. It's an utterly fantasitc feeling, but does mean that I occasionally lose contact with the outside world. Text messages from friends have been known to languish away on my phone without any response, my father almost gave me a heartattack the other night when he came downstairs to get me for dinner, my mother will speak to me every so often and I won't hear anything she says. Oh well. As much as I love people, I am actually a hermit at heart. Frankly, this particular expression of my hermit tendencies is probably healthier than shutting myself in my room and watching endless tv shows and movies. I'm pretty sure it is at least better for my mental stability.

Anyway, last post I was talking about the new oil pastels I bought myself. I've been fooling around with them, mostly just playing with color and blending, and I thought I would share a glimpse at a couple of the results. The second photo makes the work look a lot more blue than it actually is (oh the downsides of photographing things in my bedroom with only the camera flash...), but it still gives a pretty good idea of what I've been working on. So, if you have tried to contact me in the past couple of days and it has taken me hours to respond...this is why.

Now if only I could find a job that would allow me to be creative all day. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment