Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Sensation of Art




I spent today deeply immersed in creative activities. I loved every second of it. There is nothing more satisfying to me than being surrounded by art and completely surrendering myself to the experience. I went into the art supply store at the mall and while I was there treated myself to a pack of 50 oil pastels. I've been hankering after oil pastels for a while now so I decided to finally just break down and get some. As you probably have guessed, my prefered mediums for artistic expression are writing, music and photography, but I seriously love dabbling in other forms of art. I'm a particular fan of ink and pastels. I'm certainly not the most talented artist in these mediums, but that kind of isn't the point. It's more about the sensation of art. The feeling I get when I'm in the moment of creativity, the visual play of color and texture and line, the feel of holding a pen or a brush, the smell of the art supplies. There are so many elements. My new pastels smell like art to me. I think this is because smell is so strongly linked to memory and the smell of pastels brings me back to art class in junior high. Whatever the reason, I love how they smell and look and feel and I am so excited to break them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment