Thursday, April 8, 2010

Burning the Midnight Oil


I don't actually have an oil lamp and we aren't allowed to have candles in rez (not that people don't, I just happen to choose to abide by this rule mostly because I am terrified I will forget about a candle and burn the building down) so I figured that a picture of the lightbuld in my trusty IKEA desk lamp was the next best thing. After all, I typically use it while writing papers in the wee hours of the morning.
Self-discovery of the day: Sometime last year I figured out that I am infinitely more productive homework-wise if I leave the apartment and work in the SAC/library/New Wing. Now, just because I know this does not mean I always do it, but I attempt to do it relatively often. However, for some reason I firmly believed that I could only write papers in my room. This was mostly because I talk to myself while writing papers and tend to get up and pace around and such. Plus, I need approximately a million books with me whenever I am writing a paper (one of which is typically my OED) even if I am not actually using them. My room has been stressing me out though and I really needed to get a serious start on this paper this evening so that I wasn't pulling an all-nighter so I decided to try going to the New Wing. Apparently I should have tried this a lot earlier in my academic career. 8 1/2 pages written in 3 hours. And that includes breaks. So it no longer looks like I will be up until all hours of the night. Hoorah!

No comments:

Post a Comment