Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Childhood Memories


Over Easter weekend I was thinking about some of the Easter traditions we used to have as kids. I remember going down to Trochu to spend the weekend with my grandparents and dying hardboiled eggs in various colours and waking up to a treasure hunt for our Easter treats. I miss that. Instead my Easter was filled with reading about whether Shakespeare's Desdemona is the classic abused wife or not (I am arguing she isn't just in case you were wondering) and about the Impressionists and Post-Impressionists (who I love to pieces but spending an entire day taking notes on them gets a bit boring) and writing reflections on postmodern literary theorists (which is confusing). Oh for the days of childhood, when everything was so much simpler. I think my favorite memories are of my brother and I dancing around the livingroom in the condo I grew up in to The Barra MacNeils or Micheal Card or the soundtrack for The Lion King. It's funny, I spent a lot of time when I was younger wishing that I could just be grown up and now that I am grown up I just want to be a kid again. Anyone else find that?
This picture evokes little kid feelings in me. I love amusement parks in general, but I have a soft spot for carousels (by the way, is there a difference between a carousel and a merry-go-round?). This is not because they are my favorite ride (although they are fun), but because they are so pretty. This particular one is in Fort Edmonton Park in the midway they opened a couple of years ago. It's a restored antique from the 1930s (I think it's the 30s) and is so cool.

1 comment:

  1. you show so many lovely photos on your blog, like this one!

    ReplyDelete