Saturday, May 29, 2010

Impressionism, Post-Impressionism, and a Love of Art









I totally intended to post this last night, but for some reason I was exceptionally tired and was up late chatting with a friend so I decided to just crash and post it today. I spent a delightful afternoon yesterday wandering around the art gallery with my dear friend. One of the exhibts they have right now is a collection of Degas's paintings and sculptures. Both of us are huge fans of Degas so it was pretty fantastic. His work is simply incredible, particularly his dancers. There is just a quality about his work that draws the viewer in. When I was at the exhibit a couple months ago with my class someone commented that his sculptures make you want to try and imitate their poses, and that is totally true. There is a grace and power to the way that his figures are positioned that is absolutely incredible. Even though they are completely still you get a sense of movement. The attention to detail is exquisite, and yet the faces of his figures are almost entirely non-descript, even blurred to the point of non-identity. Something about this makes them all the more powerful though. His paintings of dancers capture the simplest, fleeting, intimate moments: adjusting a strap on a dress, or hushed, excited whispers backstage. So lovely. I honestly think we could have stayed in that room for the whole afternoon just talking about his works.

I actually have a great love for the Impressionists and Post-Impressionists. That was probably my favorite part of art history this year. I wish I could take an entire class on them, but sadly there isn't one available at King's and commuting isn't really an option for me. Anyway. When I took these pictures a couple of weeks ago something about the colors and lines reminded me a bit of impressionistic paintings. Even though the tulip was dying, there was something exceptionally beautiful about it. Plus it makes for a bit of a different flower picture from what I normally take.

No comments:

Post a Comment