Saturday, May 22, 2010

Spring in Unexpected Places


I love being suprised by nature. You know, those moments where you spot something beautiful or unique where you weren't expecting it. I love that. I always think of evergreens as very wintery trees. I think this is because winter is so long here and that is really the only time of year I pay attention to them. Yesterday while I was wandering around the garden though I noticed the buds on the trees out front of our house are starting to appear. I used to love pulling the brown, papery bits off when I was younger. I always thought that I was freeing the pretty little green needles, which are suprisingly soft. After I pulled the paper off I would always run them through my fingers. Hopefully this didn't kill a whole bunch of evergreen buds...that would be unfortunate. Anyway, yesterday the buds just kind of suprised me so I took some pictures of them. I love the contrast between the soft, baby buds and the prickly older needles and the dead, brittle needles. I upped the color saturation in the photo to really make this contrast stand out. I think this officially means that it is spring/summer. If the wintery trees have decided to bud, I'm going to take that as a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment