Thursday, May 13, 2010

Live with Abandon


I am a perfectionist. This can be both an asset and a liability. It's great because I'm detail-oriented and will either do a job all the way or not do it at all. It's horrible because if I don't think I can do something perfectly or exactly the way I want I have a hard time motivating myself to actually do it. Case in point: my unpacking. I am down to all the odds and ends of items and in order to go through them all it is going to take a whole day of organizing. I haven't done it yet because I don't want to get half way through and run out of time or motivation. Lame reason, I know. I am also terrified of failure. I think this has to do with my perfectionism. Seriously. I want to get the perfect job, but I hate being rejected so I have the worst time handing out applications. I am always petrified that I will get a bad mark on papers and assignments, even if there is no real reason to think so, because I don't know if my work was absolutely perfect. I drive friends and family insane because I get upset over marks that are perfectly acceptable, but aren't what I wanted.

What does this have to do with a picture of birds flying across the sunny blue sky? Well, when I stumbled across this picture as I was trying to plan a post for tonight something about the sense of freedom that this picture evokes struck me. Something about not holding back and living with abandon. Perhaps that is a really weird connection to make, but that is where my brain went. I am sorry if this trip into the inner workings of my mind has frightened you. It is a scary place in there.

The picture is from almost four years ago when I was in Tijuana, Mexico with my youth group on a YWAM mission trip. I kind of love it. The bright blue sky, the brilliant sun, the group of birds. Very picturesque in a summery way.

No comments:

Post a Comment