Sunday, May 2, 2010

In Progress


I love this picture. It's from the week I spent in Toronto last year. My friend and I were just walking along and passed this construction site. I stopped to take a picture because the bright pink and orange attracted me and then I noticed the purple doors (including one in the middle of the wall) and the cool looking "MA Imports" stencil thing. Anyway. She thought I was crazy for stopping and taking a random photo. Here is evidence to the contrary. How often do you see a construction site with that many colors? I think it is just great.
Construction seemed appropriate today for a few reasons. First, while driving to the grad ceremony my friend and I got stuck in a traffic jam becaue of construction on the freeway. It was ridiculous. We travelled 500m in 10 minutes. I could have walked faster. Fortunately we had left with plenty of time so we still got there early. Second, it was grad today. I've been to grad every year since I started at King's, but it's usually to perform with the choir. This year I was there because one of my roommates graduated. Plus there were a whole bunch of other people that I knew graduating. It was kind of weird. Just thinking about endings and beginnings and next steps and such. It's kind of frightening to think about leaving the safe bubble of school. I tend to overthink things though, so naturally I didn't end up just thinking about how weird it will be to not have some of these people around next year, or how weird and freaky it is that I will be graduating next year. No, I started thinking about how strange it is that the things that end are often the things you don't want to end while the things that go on endlessly are the things you would rather get rid of. Does that make any sense? In order to spare you all a trip into the strange realms of my mind I shall stop there. It's just interesting to think about beginnings and endings. This is a funny time in life. Everything always seems to be in transition. Everything is always under construction. At least for me it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment