Monday, July 5, 2010

It is worth our while just to be living when the pulses of nature are stirred


In Lilac Time
Lucy Maud Montgomery

When the hills in the distance are misty
With the hazes of shimmering blue,
When the birds sing with rapture at dawning
And the pastures are silver with dew,
When the skies are of sapphire radiance
And the apple tree boughs are ablow,
Then the lilacs hang out in the garden
Their clusters of purple and snow.

When a new moon shines after the sunset
In the heart of the mellow southwest,
And the winds astray in the meadows
Are bent on their summertime quest,
When the cherry trees down in the orchard
Are white as the robe of a bride,
The lilac trees here at my window
Are decked in their splendor and pride.

In the odorous hush of the twilight
The evening breeze steals their perfume,
Till the rain-freshened nooks of the garden
Are sweet with the breath of their bloom,
And at morning a bluebird a-tilting
On the tip of a tremulous spray
Pipes out in their thicket of sweetness
A madrigal buoyant and gay.

Oh! our hearts are atune with the music
Of summer and blossom and bird!
It is worth our while just to be livign
When the pulses of nature are stirred.
There's nothing so sweet as the joyance
That comes when the June breezes blow
And the lilac trees out in the garden
Are crowned with their purple and snow.

Sorry I've been so awful about keeping up the blog this week. I started this week thinking that I really didn't have all that much to do, and ended up going out or hanging out with someone here every single day until yesterday. Throw in some computer problems and presto, you have a week where Breanna never blogs. One of the things I did this week was celebrate Canada Day with some friends. It was actually a pretty fantastic day. Four of us went to Cora's for breakfast and then spent a few hours wandering around Fort Edmonton in the afternoon. Then, a bunch of us met up to watch the fireworks downtown and to hang out at Denny's afterwards. Anyway, this picture is from Fort Edmonton. I went through a period of time where I really didn't like Fort Edmonton. I think it had to do with the fact that I am not really a history buff (although I am coming to appreciate it more) and the fact that I associate it with childhood memories of really hot days that ended in major sunburns. Well, since I have come to actually enjoy some aspects of history more recently, and because one of my friends really wanted to go to the Fort, I agreed to spend some time there. Outside the telephone office (which is pretty cool) there were some lilac bushes that were still blooming, so naturally I had to snap a few shots. I've been wanting to pair some photos with Lucy Maud Montgomery's poetry for a while now. She wrote such beautiful and simple poems praising the beauty of nature in every season. It just seemed like the small, simple, beautiful flowers in the picture were complimented and enhanced by this poem. I love the final stanza, about being in tune with the music of summer. That is how I felt this week. Glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment