Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Blanket of Creativity


The weather has turned from blazing hot to cool and rainy. And when I say rainy, I mean "build the ark now" rainy. I know I talk about the weather a lot, but it has such a profound effect on my mood and on what I feel like sharing here that it is kind of an inevitable topic. I hope you all don't mind too much. Anyway, I have mentioned before that grey skies and rainy days make me think of Nova Scotia. So, today's picture is from the Halifax harbour. I thought these rocks looked kind of cool all piled up next to the red wall. I also love the lighting in this picture, the sky was quite cloudy that day so the sunlight was filtering through all these dense clouds and that combined with the reflection off the water created this almost mystical quality to the light. I think this is part of why I actually kind of like rainy days. In a way it is like all the magical bits of the world only wake up when it's raining. There is just a different feeling to the world somehow and it leaves me feeling like a blanket of creativity is being settled around my shoulders. I often feel tired and sluggish at times like this, but I am simultaneously driven to create things. The sensation that this image evokes for me embodies the feeling of today perfectly for me. Am I the only one who finds that pictures can evoke specific feelings, not just emotions, but actual physical sensations?

1 comment:

  1. So this isn't exactly an answer to your last question, but weather has been on my mind lately as well... especially considering yesterdays storm we got in Vermilion... golf-ball sized hail and 3+ inches of rain!

    Just thought I'd let you know that you aren't the only one who finds weather interesting or that certain things just light up when its raining... I always feel like the grass is "breathing" when it rains because it just looks as if it is inhaling all the water!

    Enough of my babbling! Great photos lately! They are a brightspot in my sometimes dreary days at work.... lol!

    ReplyDelete