Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Cracks, They Start to Show


I went to Shakespeare in the Park tonight with my parents to see Macbeth. I've talked about how much I love Lady Macbeth on here before, but in case you missed it the first time, she is one of my favorite characters in all of Shakespeare. Fearsome, chilling, strong, ambitious, haunted. She fascinates me. I think one of the reasons I enjoy Macbeth so much is the psychological aspect to the play. I think it's interesting how Macbeth and Lady Macbeth are so haunted by their guilt, how it manifests itself in thier minds. The hallucinations, the sleepwalking, they are truly tormented. Lady Macbeth's much quoted "out damn'd spot" speech is the very embodiment of this breakdown. The cracks in her normally impenetrable armour begin to show. They appear slowly and without her knowledge, but the ultimately rip her apart.

The past little while I feel like some cracks in my armour have begun to show. I pride myself on being strong and independent, but sometimes it gets exhausting. Life has been getting to me. Needling me. Slowly wearing me down. This week was supposed to be really great, but yesterday was kind of disasterous and today (with the exception of the play) was only slightly better. I've been constantly frustrated lately. I really wish I had access to a sound proof room so I could just scream as loud as I can until my voice is gone. Obviously I'm not Lady Macbeth. I haven't abetted any murders lately, nor am I expecting any of this to lead to a complete mental breakdown, but the sentiment is similar.

I took this picture at Hatley Castle on Vancouver Island last summer. A very beautiful building. The carvings are what first captured my attention and led me to take a picture. It wasn't until I was home and editing pictures that I noticed the cracks running through the facade. It's interesting how true that is of most things. At first glance almost everything and everyone looks perfect. It isn't until you get a bit closer, until you get to know them, that you find the imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment