Thursday, July 15, 2010

Literary Aspirations


I spent my afternoon holed up in Steeps writing away. It was actually an incredibly productive afternoon. I finished a scholarship application essay (which, in case you were wondering, are not fun to write) and got first drafts of a couple of other pieces finished. I'm staying fairly quiet about what these other pieces are for though, so if you are not one of the select few I have already explained this endeavour to then, I'm sorry, but you will just have to wait it out. If things pan out as I hope then I will enlighten all of you. Right now I don't want to jinx anything by getting my hopes up too much.

Steeps is one of my favorite places in the city. Tasty tea, a great atmosphere, local art on the walls, open mic nights and showcases for local musicians...what more could you ask for? I find that I'm almost always productive there too, which is a big change from sitting in my room at home or in the dorm. Unfortunately it is a bit of a hike from either the house or the apartment (since it's about halfway between the two) and so I have to motivate myself to get down there. I never regret it when I do though. It's a great place for everything from hanging out with friends to paper writing to cram sessions. If you live in Edmonton and haven't yet checked out this gem then you definitely should. And you should tell me when you're going. I'll come. I'll even pay.

This picture isn't from today. This was not the type of writing I was doing today. This stuff here is songwriting. Most people don't know that I write songs because I never ever share them with people (in fact, I think Lisa and Vicki may be the only two people I've ever intentionally played for), but I do. And when I write and the words don't conform to a melody I often turn them into a poem. Again, something I usually don't share. Anyway, that is why today was different. Today was essays and articles, so it didn't look like this. Wow, ramble much? I took this picture while I was in Toronto about a year and a half ago. I had a day to myself that I spent wandering around downtown Toronto and one of the stops I made was for lunch at The Rex. I had gone there the night before with Erin and one of her friends and absolutely adored it so I decided to hit it up for lunch the next day. Since I was out by myself I stopped at a stationary story and picked up a notebook and some pens so that I could spend some time writing. It was a rather enjoyable lunch stop actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment