Saturday, July 17, 2010

Playing Games





Have you ever been told that everything in life is a game? I hate this sentiment. I realize that in many ways it is true, but I hate it nonetheless. I think this is part of what is frustrating me this summer. I feel like if you make the right moves then you get the summer job, or the scholarship. If you don't make the right moves, if you role and eight instead of a twelve, you are stuck. It's like that board game, Trouble, where you had to role a 1 or a 6 to be able to move your little piece out onto the playing field and even then someone else could bump you back to the starting point. I had mixed feelings about that game as a kid. When I did well I loved it, but when I was doing poorly I loathed it. I was like that with all games. Still am. I'm a really competitive person, so I tend to be a poor loser. Anyway. I feel like my life has been one giant game of Trouble and this summer I just got sent back to the start and haven't roled the right number yet. No matter how hard I try I can't seem to get unstuck. Sorry that the posts the past couple days have been so frustrated and angry sounding. Do not worry. I've just become profoundly frustrated with several things in my life and that frustration has been compounded by boredom. This is a recipie for musing that aren't exactly cheerful in nature. Plus the weather has been gray and rainy which always makes me more prone to introspection and contemplation, which often takes a serious bent.

I took these pictures at Fort Edmonton on Canada Day. One of the rooms in the big house in the old fort had this chess board set up on a table. I thought it was cool so I took pictures of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment