Sunday, January 30, 2011

The City of Lights


For months now I have been longing to go back to Paris. This is unusual for me. As beautiful as Paris is I don't usually long to go back. Budapest, yes. Dublin, yes. Cape Breton, yes. Victoria, yes. Paris, not usually. I love perusing my pictures from the few days I was there years ago. Paris is a particularly photogenic city and looks beautiful in black and white, which immediately makes me a fan. I love the sound of the French language. It's beautiful and melodic and I wish I had the time to invest in learning more of it. Despite all of this though, Paris is not usually the top of my dream destination list, but it has been for a while now. I can't explain why, but I'm okay with it. Perhaps it is simply my tendency to surround myself with beauty which is drawing me to this city lately. Perhaps it is simply a coincidental alignment of circumstances that has me encountering things that suggest Paris to me. Who knows? Regardless, I would love to return. I want to wander under the Arc de Triumph at dusk. I want to see the Eiffel Tower lit up at night. I want to wander through the Louvre for hours on end. I want to take photos of the incredible architecture. I want to stroll along Parisian streets. I want to sit in a sidewalk cafe with a good friend.

Since I don't have the funds for such a trip right now and am currently in the midst of my semester I am contenting myself with the photography of passage d'enfer, living vicariously through Haleigh of Making Magique and inundating you all with posts featuring pictures from Paris (like this and this).

This photo is probably one of my favourite shots from Paris (although to be honest it is hard to narrow it down). I actually had this published in the school's annual arts publication when I was a freshman. The evening we took this walk through Paris was spectacular. This shot was one of those moments where the stars align and everything comes into place. The lighting, the movement of the cars, the bikes about to cross the street, everything came together to produce an image that I simply adore.

No comments:

Post a Comment