Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Something's Coming


Something's Coming
from West Side Story

Could be
Who knows?
There's something due any day;
I will know right away,
Soon as it shows.
It may come cannonballing down through the sky,
Gleam in its eye,
Bright as a rose!

Who knows?
It's only just out of reach,
Down the block, on a beach,
Under a tree.
I got a feeling there's a miracle due,
Gonna come true,
Coming to me!

Could it be? Yes, it could.
Something's coming, something good,
If I can wait!
Something's coming, I don't know what it is,
But it is
Gonna be great!

With a click, with a shock,
Phone'll jingle, door'll knock,
Open the latch!
Something's coming, don't know when, but it's soon;
Catch the moon,
One-handed catch!

Around the corner,
Or whistling down the river,
Come on, deliver
To me!
Will it be? Yes, it will.
Maybe just by holding still,
It'll be there!

Come on, something, come on in, don't be shy,
Meet a guy,
Pull up a chair!
The air is humming,
And something great is coming!
Who knows?
It's only just out of reach,
Down the block, on a beach,
Maybe tonight...

I finally talked to Audrey a bit today. It was just a few text messages back and forth, but I've been missing her something fierce lately so it was good to hear from her. Plus, somehow, regardless of the physical distance between us, we always seem to be going through similar places emotionally. It's actually kind of eerie if you think about it too long, but it is one of the things that I value most about our friendship. No matter what I say to her she will understand. She never tells me I'm crazy. She always simply understands and relates. It's a good feeling to be that throughly understood by someone. We were talking about how we both have this sense heading into the new year that something fabulous is going to happen. We have no idea what, but there is just a sense that something is going to happen. It's nice. It's exciting. It's a good change from my typically not-so-sunshiney approach to the new year. And yet... There is something frustrating about this feeling. If I could just figure out what it was that was going to happen I could anticipate it. Or, if it would just happen already then maybe the whole year could be fantastic, feeding off of this one event. I'm feeling a bit like I'm standing on the edge of a cliff. With school coming to an end this is a very real sensation in many ways. I just don't know what is coming next. And even though I have the sense that it is going to be good, I am terrified out of my mind.

Audrey explained this feeling of anticipation by referring to this song from West Side Story. Now, you should know that she and I are both musical theatre junkies. I'm seriously addicted to the stuff. Anyway, it was exactly what I needed. It reminds me a bit of the magical, exciting, anticipatory side of this experience, rather than the dark, scary, looming doom side of it. Plus, I think this provides a nice counterpoint to yesterday's slightly less hopeful (although no less truthful) post.

No comments:

Post a Comment