Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The whole world is moving, but I'm standing still


Lately I've been feeling the need to move. It is this overwhelming feeling that something in my life is going to change and as much as this scares the living daylights out of me sometimes, it also excites me. Sometimes I feel like my life is simply stagnant and I hate this sensation. The other day Audrey said to me, "I guess maybe I want to feel like I am going somewhere every day, you know?" And I do. It frustrates me when I don't feel like I'm moving or going somewhere, and I guess that's how I've been feeling for the past week or so. Like all of the potential paths that I had to walk down have suddenly disappeared. Perhaps I only imagined them in the first place, maybe they were never real. Maybe I was always just stuck here, waiting for something to change.

I just started following this tumblr called Passage d'Enfer. It's the 35mm photography of this guy who lives in Paris, and is really fantastic. As I've been looking through his photos of Paris with snow I keep thinking to myself, "If I have to endure winter, why am I not doing so in Paris?" I mean, seriously. I could at least be somewhere that the snow looks pretty. A couple of days ago I wrote about the fact that I like taking black and white photos from the windows of moving vehicles. This picture is what started this interest. I took this while in Paris several years ago, and it is one of my favourite shots from that trip. It's the sense of perpetual motion that entrances me.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, I want to go to Paris so badly. Or anywhere, for that matter. I understand the want to move. Especially when everything around you stays the same...always. Ahh! Thanks for linking the tumblr- it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe for a minute that you are stagnant. Maybe a few months down the road you will see that. My only caution is this: trying to anticiapte what is to come is not going to help you live in the moment. It's hard to stay present, I struggle with that a lot. But I am really learning to be in the moment, whether I love it or hate it. Maybe you'll feel less like you're standing still if you concentrate on the day to day, rather than what may or may not be in the future :)

    Also, I love you.

    ReplyDelete