Thursday, August 26, 2010

Glockenspiels make me happy


Summer is apparently taking one last kick at the can. I thought it had given up on us, but the past couple days have actually been quite lovely. I was walking back from the bus stop this afternoon and one of the new songs on my ipod came on. It's by a group called Pearl and the Beard, who I had never heard of until a week or so ago. One of my favourite websites to visit and fantasy shop on is Modcloth (note that this is only fantasy shopping at the moment because I have no money, when I'm back in the cash I will definitely be getting some stuff from there) and so I subscribe to their weekly email newsletter. Well recently they teamed up with indie label Family Records to release a free playlist of summer songs to all of their newsletter subscribers. This is where I first discovered Pearl and the Beard since two of their songs are on the playlist. The one that came on my ipod today was "Voice In My Throat" and I had to put it on repeat because I loved it so much. It makes me break into huge uncontrolable smiles and puts a bounce in my step. Seriously. An upright bass, a bouncy guitar line and a glockenspiel...what more could you ask for? It was perfect for walking down the street on a sunny day. However, the genius effect of two overlapping songs and the impecable match of their voices make it equally suited to those grey days where you want nothing more than to wear an oversized sweater, curl up in a chair, and read a good book.

Sadly, I do not have any pictures of glockenspiels. I am sorry if the title misled you and you got all excited. Actually, for a musical person I have an appalling lack of pictures relating to music. I may have to spend some time tomorrow photographing my piano and my dad's guitar. This is the best I could come up with. It does also connect to the idea of summer giving it one last go though. I took this particular picture at Capital Ex a couple of years ago, so for me it evokes the feeling of summer nights spent with friends. Plus it is just such a great line. Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment