Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Oh give me a home, where the [bison] roam



Sorry, that song is going to be stuck in your head all day now. If it is any comfort it is going to be stuck in mine as well, and I am almost ready for bed so it will be playing on an endless loop as I try to fall asleep. Wow. I just realized how much mental pain I inflicted upon myself with that title. Anyway. I worked today and one of the stories was about a herd of bison that broke free from their farm in the Camrose area. This prompted the great "are they bison or buffalo?" debate in the office. (They are bison.) It also led to the inevitable use of the phrase "where the buffalo roam" over and over again. I thought that in light of this it was appropriate to share some of my own pictures of bison. One of my roommates comes from a family that has a bison farm in southern Alberta. I've spent a couple of Easter breaks down there. The first time we were out there her dad took us out to the fields to get up close and personal with the bison. Let me tell you, they are big. It was pretty cool though. I do think that my spectacular inability to climb over the gate demonstrates that I am NOT "home on the range" though. Oh well. I got a good story out of it. And some good photos. I like the first one here because it also shows a bit of the vastness of the prairie as well as the bison. It seems to fit the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment