Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Jonesing for Fall


In the past week or two a lot of the fashion blogs I read have had a post about how they are starting to look forward to fall. It's that point in the summer where you begin to feel like you have worn everything in your closet a million times already and you just want something new. I always have a hard time investing in summer clothing. The summer is just so short here that it seems pointless to by a bunch of adorable summer dresses (no matter how much I want them) when I'm only going to be able to wear them for maybe a couple of months. So when you add that to my budgetary concerns this summer, I really have run out of interesting summer outfits. Plus, it is getting to the point where (at least for me) I am getting tired of the heat. What can I say, I'm a winter baby? Although, I don't really like the dead cold of winter either. Anyway, I too am starting to long for the cooler days of fall. Jackets, cardigans, scarves, boots, hats...there are just so many exciting things in fashion for cooler weather.

For me the dawning of fall also means the beginning of school. It's my senior year at college and I'm excited. I'm one of those weird people who actually love school. Seriously. I get excited pretty much every year. I am currently eagerly and impatiently anticipating the release of the fall textbook lists so that I can find out what I'm going to be reading this semester. I can't wait to spend a ridiculous amount of money on new books. The weight of a stack of textbooks, the way new books look and smell...ah, heaven! I could do without the hefty price tag though. And then there is the excitement of starting new classes. Those precious weeks at the beginning of the semester before the first round of papers is due when learning is still exciting and not stressful fill me with excitement. I'm also happy because this year I'm in senior level classes that are pretty small so I'm hoping we will be able to have some good discussions. And before any of that happens there is my favorite part of back-to-school...school supply shopping! Yes, that's right, I LOVE school supply shopping. Picking notebooks and pens and highlighters and date books is one of my favorite things about this time of year. You know that Staples ad that they run every year at this time where the dad is skipping through the aisles while pulling his grouchy kids on a couch and "It's the most wonderful time of the year" plays as the soundtrack? I think those ads are brilliant, and obviously they have proven effective since they've been running in one form or another since I was in elementary school, but I'm like the dad, not the kids. I get this love of stationary supplies from my father, like many of my other odd and charming qualities.

Fall is definitely my favorite season. Fashion, school, stationary...and the colors and weather! We Albertans kind of get the short end of the stick when it comes to fall. It's not very long and there really aren't that many trees around to change to pretty colors. One of the reasons I want to move east for grad school is because they get a genuine fall with the leaves changing color and the perfect weather that is sunny and yet crisp. Man I love everything about fall.

Now, to the picture. It may seem odd (because everything else in this post was perfectly normal...), but when I think of fall one of the first things that comes to mind is plaid. I love plaid. For some reason I associate it with warmth and comfort and cooler weather. So, to accompany my rhapsodizing about the many wonderful elements of fall, here is a photo of the McCurdy plaid. At least, both my father and I think it is the McCurdy plaid. We could be wrong. If anyone knows better, feel free to fill me in. Anyway. This is the fabric that was on the chairs at McCurdy's Restaurant at the Silver Dart Lodge in Baddeck, Nova Scotia. I loved Baddeck. I really just loved all of Cape Breton, but Baddeck is where we spent most of our time. There's family history there since my paternal grandmother's maiden name is McCurdy (yes, the ones that the restaurant is named after). One day I would like to own a kilt in the family plaid. Until then I will have to satisfy myself with several plaid items from the stores this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment