Monday, August 23, 2010

I call you mystery




I call you mystery
Josh Noble
    
          I adore to tiptoe around

Your mystery.

                                  In quiet, pastoral moments,
                             just the two of us,
                       inhabiting our Ikea kitchen.
                             Superbly planned, laid out and arranged
                                  tidy and spotless, with the warm glow,
of energy efficient bulbs
                       reflected off a varnished oak table.
            The reassuring hum of the two-door refrigerator.
                             Cascade emanates from the silent,
                  running dishwasher and permeates
                         the room with familiarity.

And there you are, domestically swishing a cloth over and over
           the counter - wild as a tiger.
                      You are Emily Dickinson
                        and my Sylvia Plath.
           You are the Cat's Eye Nebula,
                                 Niagara Falls, baby,
                         and Christ's empty tomb

You brush past me, with a kiss on my cheek
           and you sit down in a covered arm chair, picking
                      up a book.  And I
           shake with delight, tiptoeing around your mystery.


It is my dear friend's first wedding anniversary today. Happy anniversary Steph and Tyler! I'm so happy for you guys.

These are a couple of my favorite pictures from their wedding last summer. There is something magical about the first dance, so I was glad to get some good shots of it. The top image was actually published in my school's annual student art publication last spring and the poem is the piece it was paired with on the facing page. I was actually really excited to find out that my photo was being paired with one of Josh's poems. I really adore his work. It is the kind of poetry that I can get lost in, the word choice is impecable and he excels at adopting the voices of different people and conveying an incredible depth of emotion. Plus, I just love the lines "You are my Emily Dickinson / And my Sylvia Plath". I thought this poem just fit these pictures so well that I had to put them up together today.

No comments:

Post a Comment