Monday, August 16, 2010

When is this hoodoo going to end?



hoodoo (noun)
1 [mass noun] voodoo or witchcraft • [count noun] a run of bad luck associated with a person or activity: when is this hoodoo going to end? • [count noun] a person or thing that brings or causes bad luck
2 [chiefly N. Amer.] a column or pinnacle of weathered rock
("hoodoo" Oxford English Dictionary)

A hoodoo (also called a tent rock, fairy chimney, and earth pyramid) is a tall, thin spire of rock that protrudes from the bottom of an arid drainage basin or badland. Hoodoos consist of soft sedimentary rock topped by harder, less easily-eroded stone that protects each column from the elements. ("Hoodoo (geology)" Wikipedia)

I took these pictures on my Easter break in 2009. A couple of my friends and I spent one of the days that weekend exploring Drumheller and the surrounding area. So of course we wanted to see the hoodoos. These weren't the particular ones that we thought we were going to see, the ones we remembered were a lot bigger, but they were sufficient for that particular outing. I thought it was interesting that the word "hoodoo" is also a synonym for "voodoo". Some of the structures really do seem to stay standing only through magic of some kind. Yes, I know it is actually science and there are probably lots of you who could explain said science to me, but magic is just so much more fun in my mind. Gives me less of a headache in the end too. I also like the fact that they can also be called "fairy chimneys". "Hoodoo" is a fun word to say, but "fairy chimney" sounds so much prettier.

No comments:

Post a Comment